How does visa sponsorship in the UK work? You may ask, that is what this article is going to help you tackle and give you the necessary information you may need to get a visa sponsorship. There are different pathways to getting into the UK with visa sponsorship being one of them. Visa sponsorship is a great way of gaining entry into the UK.
To get started with the visa sponsorship, applicants will have to, first of all, apply for an invitation from the visa offices which will in turn set up a panel of judges that will review your application to determine your reason for applying and ascertaining if you are eligible to enter the UK.
Your application can be submitted in person or online, but it must be submitted at least two weeks before the event date you’ve chosen (unless you are invited by another sponsor). Once your application has been approved, an invitation letter will be sent to you plus details on how much time they’ll need from you prior to the event date.
How Does Visa Sponsorship in the UK Work?
If you are lucky enough to have gotten a job in the UK and you will like to move your family over as well then the visa sponsorship is the best pathway for you to do so. The Tier 5 visa allows temporary workers to work in the UK for up to six months at a time, however, if they want longer than that, they can apply for another six-month extension before their current visa expires.
You are also eligible if the employer sponsors your application as long as the employer is gracious enough to pay all fees associated with processing it, these fees include the immigration application costs which range between $0-$1K per person depending on how many dependents apply alongside themselves during one year period.
The immigration system in the UK
Due to the fact that you are new to this system, you may not know how immigration works, let us look at some key points you need to know;
- The UK has a points-based immigration system that allows people with specialized skills or capital to migrate to the country by sponsoring them through their employer or other sources of funding (e.g. family members).
- Visa sponsorship is available for certain people who have their sponsorship approved by UKBA officials, these people could be workers and investors. These applications can be made via an online portal, in some other cases, they will be required to submit the application via mail. The good thing about this is that there is no fee attached to this type of application submission.
Types of Visa Sponsorship In the UK
Tier 1 – Investor Visa
Tier 1 – Entrepreneur Visa
This type of visa allows you to work and live for up to five years, in other to be given this type of visa you must;
- Your main source of income is from your own personal effort rather than being paid by someone else (i.e., no salary).
- The business must be set up as a limited company or partnership and it must be run by either one or two people who are not employed by the same employer; and/or
- You have invested £200,000 (£95,000 for all other applicants) into an active business in the UK.
The application process can be quite tedious, moreover, understanding the prerequisites can go a long way in understanding if you want to actually pursue an entrepreneur visa. Ask yourself questions like;
- -Do I have the necessary funds?
- Do I understand how long an entrepreneur visa lasts?
- Can my business partner join me in the UK?
Tier 1 – Exceptional Talent Visa
This type of visa is selectively given to individuals that possess high skills and is able to get a job with an employer in the UK and can show proof of this. Regardless of the high skills one possesses, there are requirements that must be met. These requirements include;
- You must have exceptional talent in your field of study or work (for example, an engineer with degrees from two universities).
- Your sponsor must be able to prove that they have sponsored you abroad and that they are willing to do so again if needed (the sponsor’s sponsorship letter should include details about their financial status).
Tier 2 – Intra-Company Transfer
This is done by the company itself which has set up branches in the UK by transferring the best skilled amongst their workers in the home country. This route is mostly used by Tech companies like Tata Consultancy Services, Commerce companies like Amazon, and so on. The intra-company transfer can be done in two categories;
- Graduate Trainee, and;
- Long-term staff.
Read Also: Google Jobs with Visa Sponsorship in the UK
Graduate trainees are lowly skilled workers who have little experience in the field and are sent abroad to acquire more knowledge. These trainees should be fresh graduates of not later than one to two years after graduation and must have acquired a little bit of knowledge on the job with a salary of £23,000.
This refers to the transfer of skilled labor for a period of one to five years when a position cannot be filled. To be eligible, the foreign employee must have worked for the multinational company’s foreign branch for at least 12 months and be paid at least £41,500 or the appropriate rate for that occupation as set out in the Code of Practice, whichever is greater.
Documents Required to Apply for this Type of Visa
- Any visa application requires extensive supporting documentation. You will need to provide the following information for a Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa.
- A reference number for CoS.
- A bank or building society statement or a letter demonstrating that you have kept £945 in savings for at least 90 days (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you).
- A current, valid passport or travel document proving your ability to travel.
- Proof that you have worked for your employer for the required number of years.
- Proof that you will be paid an appropriate salary from your sponsoring employer.
Other types of visas include;