Can I Get Financial Aid for a Second Master’s Degree?

Can I Get Financial Aid for a Second Master’s Degree? This question has in recent times been asked by students, it is therefore expected to know that students who pursue a second master’s degree may be eligible for financial aid. However, the eligibility requirements are different than those of first-time students. 

The most common form of aid is Federal Direct Student Loans, which are provided by the government and have low-interest rates. Federal student loans can also be subsidized or unsubsidized depending on your income level; a subsidized loan means that the government pays back part of your interest while you’re in school so that it doesn’t accrue.

Types of Financial Aid

There are many types of financial aid, but they all fall into one of two categories: need-based or merit-based. Need-based aid is based on how much money your family has and what your household income level is.

There are many different types of financial aid available to students pursuing a second master’s degree. Federal loans are the most common form, but there are also grants, scholarships, and other forms of assistance that can help you pay for your education. It’s important to do your research about each type of aid so that you know exactly what it covers and whether it will be beneficial for you.

You may be eligible for a private student loan if you have good credit and earning potential. The interest rate on this type of loan is usually lower than a federal student loan or other types of private loans because you’re paying back the money yourself instead of having it paid directly by the government (which means higher interest rates).

If your family doesn’t have a lot of extra cash lying around for things like tuition bills, but you still want to go to college, then this type of aid could help you out.

Financial aid is a type of grant that helps students with needs, not just merit. Grants are awarded based on the financial need of the student and the availability of funds.

Read Also: Top Scholarships For International Students

Eligibility Factors

To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must:

  • Be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits per term) in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and meet financial need guidelines in accordance with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form instructions.
    • Have completed at least one-quarter of your coursework before applying to graduate school—this can be done by taking any combination of undergraduate courses at any accredited institution that offers those classes and attempting to transfer them into graduate school before completing your first year of study (or have already received an undergraduate degree).
  • If you have already earned an undergraduate degree by this time, you may still apply for admission if it would be beneficial for your career goals; however, keep in mind that some schools may require additional requirements beyond those listed above such as being admitted as part-time students rather than full-time ones so consider these factors before pursuing entrance into graduate school!

How to Apply for Aid

Before you begin applying for financial aid, make sure to check the following:

Make sure that your school has an online application. If it does, then you have access to their website and can apply for aid using that same site. You’ll need to create an account on their website if you don’t already have one (if there’s one available).

Once created, log in with your username/password and then click on “Apply Now” at the top of any page where they offer any kind of award letter or notification about financial aid awards being sent out soon.

Read Also: How much does a student need to study in France

After submitting an application package that includes

  1. Transcripts from each institution attended during undergraduate studies (if applicable)
  2. Copies of diplomas or degrees earned by all degree programs pursued by graduates who studied at least full-time while earning those degrees in order to receive credit toward future post-graduate studies;
  3. As well as proof showing how much money was spent per term spent studying abroad (either through study abroad programs offered by colleges themselves OR through scholarships funded directly through organizations such as associations etc).
  4. This will prevent others from applying under false pretenses since most colleges require applicants presenting themselves as current undergraduates who’ve just graduated high school must provide proof proving otherwise before being allowed access to campus grounds.
  5. Always inquire from the school you are applying to, and find out whether or not there are financial aids available to those pursuing a second master’s degree.
  6. If there are not, then you should consider other alternatives. You can apply for scholarships and grants from organizations such as the Rotary Club, Lions Club, etc. Also, look into federal aid programs such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans which will help pay for tuition fees for students who cannot afford to do so on their own.

Financial Aid Alternatives

There are some options that you can explore to help pay for your second master’s degree. You may be able to get financial aid for the program, or you may have the option of working during school and taking time off between semesters.

Read Also: How Much Does it Cost to Study in Germany?

  • Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need. If your GPA is high enough, then applying can be an excellent way to receive funding while still getting a good education. Some scholarships also cover tuition costs at certain schools; if this sounds appealing but isn’t quite enough money to cover all expenses (especially since books aren’t typically covered), look into other sources of funding like work-study programs or loans.*
  • Work Study: This program allows students who qualify under federal guidelines, and whose parents sign an agreement agreeing not to sue, to receive upfront funds from their employer rather than having it deducted from their paycheck each month after taxes have been taken out first.
  • If your parents aren’t able to help financially with covering tuition costs during school or once you find work after completing your degree program, or if they would prefer not to fund their child’s education, you may want to consider applying for Parent PLUS Loans instead.
    Parents who take out these loans must make payments while the student continues making monthly payments toward repaying his/her own principal balance plus accrued interest charges until graduation occurs; otherwise, they’ll incur penalties such as late fees if they don’t follow through on their commitment!


So, yes you can get financial aid for a second master’s degree. The only thing that matters is whether you can make the coursework requirements, which may be quite rigorous. You’ll need to check with your school and individual programs to see if there are any special considerations in place when it comes to applying for all types of funding.


Leave A Reply